For certain procedures in the abdominal and thoracic cavity, surgical staples may be an appropriate alternative to suturing. Surgical staples are inert and efficient and when used appropriately, staples and stapling devices minimize tissue handling and contamination, perform reliable and secure closures, and provide excellent haemostasis.
The disadvantages are that the equipment can be more expensive and veterinarians may not be as familiar or comfortable with stapling as they are with suture. Freelance Surgical can provide a range of videos to assist in the steps to use. Alternatively if you are interested in practical training course, please email Sarah Evans firstname.lastname@example.org
The most common staplers utilized in small animal general surgery are the thoracoabdominal (TA) stapler, and the gastrointestinal anastomosis (GIA) stapler. The Endo GIA Stapler, provides greater flexibility and a wider number of applications in small animal surgery, where tissue diameter and access may limit the application of staples.
The Endo GIA™ universal stapling system compresses tissue as it is fired. This action moves the tissue gap control mechanism 15 mm with each squeeze, to physically pull the anvil and staple cartridge together to sequentially compress the tissue as it fires.
The GIA stapler places two double rows of staggered B-shaped stables 3.5mm apart and then incises in between. The Endo GIA Stapler accommodates three staple lengths 30mm, 45mm and 60mm.
Endo GIA recommended reloads
- The 2.5 mm cartridge (white) should be used on tissue that can comfortably compress to 1.0 mm -1.5 mm.
- The 3.5 mm cartridge (blue) should be used on tissue that can comfortably compress to 1.5 mm - 2.0 mm.
- The 4.8 mm cartridge (green) should be used on tissue that can comfortably compress to 2.0 mm.
Endo GIA™ universal 12 mm staplers have applications in abdominal, and thoracic surgery for resection, transection and creation of anastomosis.
Key Benefits of the Endo GIA Stapler
- A new knife blade with each firing – having a new knife blade for each firing ensures that it will dull and reduces contamination
- Straight and Reticulated reload can be used on all Endo GIA staplers and will accommodate the 30,45 and 60mm staple lengths with a range of staple height options
- The Endo GIA Reticulated™ reload articulates to 22 and 45 degrees in both directions
- Endo GIA staplers can be fired 25+ times